I am assuming most of you who read this blog already know that he is here:) Last week was a totally new adventure with lots of unknowns. It really proved the quote, "Just live day by day". After Monday's Dr appt, they sent me to the hospital again to be checked. We just thought it would be another 2 hour visit. Nope, it turned into 5 1/2 days. By Monday evening (after being at the hospital for 8 hours) we learned that they would try to induce. The first step was to apply some gel stuff to get some contractions going. It worked! Right after it was done Chad decided to go take a walk around the building for 30mins. By the time he was back, I was having some pretty painful contractions. The nurse checked me and I had dilated 1 more cm to a 2. They decided to keep me over night and start some pitocin in the morning (an IV drug to help continue contractions). That night was pretty painful. But after some painkillers, I slept good.
On Tuesday they started pitocin and I was on that all day. By Tuesday evening I could feel some pain in my lower back. However, the DR (the Dr I saw just that day, well just talked to through the nurse) was not impressed so she tried to talk me into going home or try one other procedure. I felt that with all the pain I had gone through, I wasn't going to just go home. So I pressed for the other procedure. They basically used something that would start contractions but could be stopped immediately if my blood pressure increased. By 3:00am Wednesday morning, I was having major contractions again. But more painful. So the nurse checked me and sure enough, I had progressed a lot.
So Wednesday morning, a new Dr to me, Dr. Megan McEllistrem, decided to break my water and proceed on with labor. At 9:30 am on Wednesday morning my water broke. I am just happy I wasn't in public! And 10 min after that, I had the strongest contractions I had ever had! Wow. I asked for an epidural, which was great! Not painful or scary at all! I kept progressing and all was well, until about 3ish in the afternoon. I had developed a fever. This unfortunately led to the news that no matter which way I delivered, my little guy would have to go to the NICU for 48 hours of antibiotics. No rooming with me like I had planned. So after a couple of hours of antibiotics, I was free of the fever and all signs of the infection. At 6:00pm the nurse said I was almost 10 cm dilated and that I would start pushing at 6:30pm. I was really looking forward to this and pumped because I couldn't feel pain but I could tell when I was having a contraction so that would definitely help out with labor. So at 6:30 I started pushing and found out that the little guy was positioned face up, not downward. Women can deliver this way but it is much harder and takes longer. However, I was determined to do it! My room consisted of Chad and one awesome nurse, with lights low. It was so calming and they were so motivational.
After 1 1/2 hours of pushing and falling asleep in between contractions because I was so exhausted, Dr. Megan said that he had not moved at all and that my blood pressure was starting to change with ever contraction. I needed to have a c-section. I was not thrilled at all and I was really nervous but it needed to be done. I was whisked away into the room for surgery and prepped quickly. Every person who was in there was really great and supportive.
At 9:35 pm Jackson Scott was born!! I was able to meet him and give him lots of kisses!!!!!Chad brought him down to the NICU and I went back to the room to recover.
The next morning Chad and I went down to see right away. By Friday afternoon he was out of the NICU. Saturday afternoon we went home! Its been exciting and such a gratifying experience. Official date : August 18th, 6 lbs 15 oz, 19 3/4 inches long
No comments:
Post a Comment